Wednesday 4 March 2009

Catching Up

Right, so as the last post pointed out, I'm written bugger all here for quite some time and, though that doesn't mean I've done nothing, it does mean that I've forgotted to document my progress. So here's a nice little list of everything I've done up 'til now, with dates and bells.

Well. Not bells. This is HTML. It can't have bells.

Shame though.





DING-A-LING-A-LING-A-... okay fair enough.


Ignore the bold type; it's to let me know what module I worked on easilly so I can write up my essays at the end of the year. Which is horrifyingly close.

12/1/09
Interactive Audio details are handed out, groups are made and we set about straining our tiny minds to come up with something that is both fun and passable as a radio show. We fail. This changes in about 3 weeks or so.

15/1/09
Audio Production Methods work starts. Wrote a bunch of notes on a lecture, first (and last) academic research I did all year up 'til today's date.

27/1/09
First of three Drama meeting with Kenny's group in the studio live room. Felt like a gas chamber. Came up with some neat new things to add to the story. In retrospect, this should actaully be finished now, it's not a lot of work and I'm weeks ahead of the rest of my year on this one, seeing as i seem to be one of about 5 people in the course who can read and did actually write the script in the format it was supposed to be in. Some guy just wrote an essay...

3/2/09
Pitch. Was late to this by a whole day, because I didn't read the email. That'll teach me for being presumptious. Still, walked through it again, thanks to my lecturuer being the ever patient and fairly awsome Karl Da Silva (you can tell how awesome he is, just by the name. it has a 'Da' in it. That's ace). Came up with a new question because, and I quote...

"I couldn't find enough research material on both game and film sound design to make a proper project on their differences." Myk Mulreany, February 2009.

Translation.

"I played Warcraft."

Started working on the Production Methods coursework, but really just filled a page with nonsense. Worked on this later in the semester and actually got results.

9/2/09
Started a new appraoch to working. Daily targets. I work better to these, and managed to catch up on quite a lot of work this year by doing just that. Built my Project essay structure and wrote my introduction quite by accident. Guess I still have some sort of flair left in me. Finished the radio proposal document for Interactive Audio.

10/2/09
Wrote the play's ending.

Then scrapped it.

This happened 3 times at least.

11/2/09
Sat and read some Project books. Not a lot done today.

16/2/09
Started to work on Production Methods animation and cue sheets, but Kenny told me to do the tutorial he had planned.

Oh yeah, this is pretty funny. I was working on this on the 3rd floor. Kenny came over and told people around me to clear out as he had a class. Just as I started to clear up he sat next to me and asked how I was getting on.

Turned out it was my class. I turned up to a tutorial by accident.

19/2/09
Got in touch with my voice actors and organised a preliminary reading. Wrote out the Interactive Audio script and booked the recording studio for the next Monday, in order to do some foley work for that accidental tutorial.

20/2/09
Meeting with Karl about the Project work. He's asked me to be more specific with my question, as the current phrasing was big enough to be a PHD proposal. So I narrowed it down to "sound effects" from "sound design" and to "FPS (First Person Shooter) games" from "games." That seemed to work well.

23/2/09
Met with Karl again to check the details of the Project. He's happy with it. Went into the audio studio and started foley work on the tutorial for Production Methods. Got half an hour of recordings to cut and edit now. Good though.

24/2/09
Drama meeting and Project research. Nothing fancy.

2/3/09
Crit. Same as pitch, only I showed up on time this time. Worked out what I'm going to get done for next week. So everything should be in hand.

3/3/09
Wrote a lot down to do today. Didn't actually do any of it. Can't remember why.

Oh, just checked. I wrote that the other day to do yesterday. So that's today's work. Cool.

4/3/09
Today. Wrote this... Uh...

Right, better do some work then, so I can write about it later I guess. Going to double check the Interactive Audio script, and then write out a schedule for Drama over the next 4 weeks. Also found out the exact dates for hand in. Need to email Kenny to find out about Interactive Audio - never did get a coursework sheet for that.

Hand In Dates
Int. sound - 1st April, hand in all documentation and recorded show.
Drama - 3rd April, hand in casting and rehearsal notes. 17th April, hand in production notes, critical evaluation and recorded performance.
Project - 3rd April, hand in practical piece, 29th April, hand in essay.
Prod. methods - 17th april, hand in animation with full soundtrack and written treatment of appraoch. Oh yeah, and a 4 PAGE ESSAY ON HOW ACOUSMATIC SOUND CAN BE USED AS A FILMIC TOOL WITH FULL RESEARCH DOCUMENTS. Fuck's sake.


My nicotine patch is itching. I've giving up smoking once and for all. 3rd attempt in 2 years, but the first time I've really meant it and been to see the Doctor etc.

No comments: